Solutions for expats in Mexico

Let us assist you with various legal matters in Mexico

Mexico Temporary Resident Visa

What are the Requirements for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa?

When applying for a  Temporary Resident Visa for Mexico, you must have several supporting documents with you, such as:

  • A Mexico Visa Application Form, printed and signed. If the applicant is a minor, the parents or legal guardians have to sign the application form.
  • A passport or other travel document, which has blank pages so the visa can be affixed.
    • Also include a photocopy of your passport’s relevant pages
  • Recent passport-size pictures in line with Mexico requirements
  • Visa fee payment
  • Additional documents related to your purpose of travel, such as:
  • Proof of family relationship, for Mexico Family Visas
  • Proof of enrollment in a Mexico educational institution, for Mexico Student Visa
  • Proof you have obtained a Mexico Work Permit and a copy of your work contract if applying for a Mexico Work Visa
  • Any additional documents that the Mexican embassy asks you to provide.

How to Apply for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa?

The application process for obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa for Mexico is divided into two parts:

  • Applying for the Temporary Resident Visa at a Mexican embassy
  • Exchanging the Temporary Resident Visa into a Temporary Residence Card at the National Immigration Institute (Instituto Nacional de Migracion (INM)) in Mexico

Applying for the Temporary Resident Visa

The application process for getting a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa is:

  1. Contact a Mexico embassy to set up an appointment. You can find a list of Mexican embassies here.
  2. Complete the Mexico Visa Application Form. You can find the application form on the website of the Mexico embassy where you will apply or at the embassy itself.
  3. Collect the required documents. See the requirements for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa below.
  4. Submit the application and pay the visa fee. On the date of your appointment, you must submit the documents and application form at the Mexico embassy. You also have to pay a Mexico visa fee.
  5. Wait for the visa to be processed
  6. Pick up your passport. If the application is approved, the visa will be affixed to your passport.
  7. Travel to Mexico and exchange your Temporary Resident Visa into a Temporary Residence Card

Keep in mind: Different embassy offices may have their own different requirements when it comes to the visa application process. This is why it is important to always contact them or visit their website to learn about the specific requirements, opening hours, etc.

Exchange the Temporary Resident Visa into a Temporary Residence Card

Within 30 days of arriving in Mexico with a Temporary Resident Visa, you must apply to exchange it into a Temporary Residence Card. You can get your Residence Card at an office of the National Immigration Institute in Mexico. When you apply, you should have the following with you:

  • The Resident Card request form, which you can download from the website of the Immigration Offices.
  • Your passport with the Temporary Resident Visa affixed
  • The Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM) which you received at the airport
  • Payment of the Resident Card
  • A cover/request letter for the Temporary Resident Card addressed to the Instituto Nacional de Migración
  • Any additional documents related to your purpose of travel

Mexico Temporary Resident Visa Processing Time

The processing time for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa depends on the embassy in which you apply. You can expect to wait anywhere from one week to a month. This is why it is advisable that you apply for a visa at least one month before you plan to travel to Mexico.

Mexico Temporary Resident Visa fee

The fee for a Mexico visa is around $36. However, the visa fee may change depending on the country in which you submit your application, as does the payment method. Some embassies may require you to pay the fee upfront via bank transfer while others ask you to pay in cash.

You will also have to pay for the Tourist Card once you land , which may be between $15-$30. The prices for a Mexico Tourist Card may change slightly from time to time.

Additionally, you also have to pay a fee for the Mexico Temporary Resident Card at the INM. You have to pay a processing administrative fee as well as the fee for the card itself. The price of the Temporary Resident Card depends on the number of years it is issued for, and ranges from 3,000 to 7,000 Mexican Pesos.

What is the Duration of a Temporary Resident Visa Mexico?

The duration of the Temporary Resident Visa itself is 180 days. This is why once you arrive in Mexico you must apply to turn it into a Temporary Resident Card within 30 days.

The Mexico Temporary Resident Card is valid for one year on the first issuance and can be renewed for another one, two, or three years.

After four years of living with a Temporary Resident Visa, you become eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.

How to Renew a Temporary Resident Visa for Mexico?

At least 30 days before your current Temporary Resident Card expires, you must apply for a renewal at the Instituto Nacional de Migración. You can renew your Temporary Residence Card for up to four years, which is when you can get a Permanent Residence Card.

What if I Lose or Damage my Mexican Resident Card?

If you lose or damage your Mexican Resident Card, you must visit the local immigration office and apply for a replacement. You must have the following documents with you:

  • Your passport (original and a photocopy)
  • Residence card replacement fee
  • Three pictures, two showing you face-front and one from your left side profile
  • If your resident card was damaged: Submit the Tourist Card (FMM) and your entrance Visa along with the residence card
  • If your resident card was stolen/lost: Submit the Tourist Card (FMM) and your entrance Visa
  • Form to request immigration procedure stay (here)
  • Any additional documents the immigration office may request

If you lose or damage your Mexican Resident Card while you are abroad, you must approach a Mexican embassy to request a replacement.



Our process is simple. It starts with filling out of INTITIATE LEGAL PROJECT FORM on our website. Our legal staff will review your project and contact you for more documents, details and payment to initiate your project.

We will do all your necessary paperwork, make an appointment with INM or the embassy, we will email you all the instructions. All legal documents will be filled out on INM portal, and sent to you in PDF format via email. You will need to download all the documents, review them for accuracy and sign them. Remember, you must present your own case personally in INM or the embassy. Legal reps cannot go in with you. However our staff will be available to assist you via phone from 10am to 3pm central time. Monday to Friday.

Note: Our fee is in addition to INM fees

You hereby expressly assume all of the risks when communicating and conducting business with suppliers or service providers. BizQro, LLC is not affiliated in any way or shape with any business arrangement with suppliers or service providers. You hereby expressly agree to forever release, discharge and hold us and our agents, employees, officers, directors, associates, affiliated companies, guides, groups leaders and sub contractors harmless against any and all liability, actions, causes of actions, suits, claims and demands of any and every kind and nature what-so-ever which you now have or which may hereafter arise our of or in connection with these risks.